Sunday, June 18, 2006

News & Notes



- I attended the grand opening of the New York Wine & Culinary Center and it sure is a beautiful place. With Canandaigua Lake providing a shimmering backdrop, I'm sure wine and food afficianados from around the world will be inspired and educated at this state of the art facility. My hats off to those who had the vision to create this wonderful educational and marketing tool. Visit the NYWCC website for schedules and more information. I was also impressed with the imaginative and delicious food that was served and also the Fox Run Cabernet Franc they were pouring was wonderful!

- Here is Cookin In The 'Cuse's take on the foodie aspect of the NYWCC

- Laura Rebeccas Kitchen with more coverage of the NYWCC

- A few observations after visiting Finger Lakes wine tasting rooms for the last several months; The 2005 Rieslings are, without a doubt, very impressive and consistently good at a wide variety of Finger Lakes locations. The downside is that supplies are low, so buy what you like now. Also, prices have gone up due to low supplies and rising costs. But if you like Finger Lakes Riesling, the 2005's are worth a few extra dollars. I've also been impressed with the Cabernet Franc at quite a few Finger Lakes wineries so, if you like medium-bodied Reds, I would recommend tasting the Franc's when you visit. As I've stated in earlier posts, from all accounts the Finger Lakes 2005 Reds are going to be some of the best in a long time, but it may take a few years until we can taste for ourselves.

- A big Thank You to my fellow blogger Lenn at LennDevours for turning me on to
Wolffer Estate winery on Long Island. I tried their La Ferme Martin Chardonnay and I'd swear, if I didn't know what I was drinking, that this resembled a Finger Lakes Dry Riesling. Fresh and bright fruit and citrus and crisp acidity, with a lingering mineral finish. I am hooked!
Also, See Lenn's review of Standing Stone's 2003 Pinnacle.

- Fulkerson Winery has released their 2005 Semi-Dry Riesling, 2004 Reserve Red, & 2004 Cabernet Franc and will soon be releasing the 2004 Vidal Blanc Ice Wine, 2004 Pinot Noir, & 2005 Dry Riesling. Also, look for Fulkerson wines at Medley of Tastes at Hobart College on June 19 & at The Great NYS Food & Wine Festival in Clayton NY on June 23-25.

- Casa Larga has kicked off a campaign to raise money for The National Center For Missing and Exploited Children. See their website for information on how you can help.

- Watkins Glen State Park turns 100!

- Cobblestone Farm Winery strives to be family-friendly

- The Seaway Wine Trail is now open up in the North Country

- If you like bluegrass music, you'll love Pickin In The Pasture. After playing guitar in rock, country, and folk styles for over 20 years, I picked up the mandolin last year and started getting into bluegrass. I attended Pickin In The Pasture last year for the first time and I had a great time. Everybody is friendly and the pickers and singers are great.

- I went down to Seneca Harbor Station to see my first Cardboard Boat Regatta on Saturday, but with the time/temperature sign at the bank reading 101 degrees, I only lasted for about an hour. All the boats that I saw miraculously did NOT sink! It sure was a HOT weekend in The Finger Lakes! Here are some pics of some of the brave mariners and their ships (double-click on picture to enlarge)




















- Will the Finger Lakes be used by corporations to sell as bottled water?

- New York wineries now have grants available to help develop their websites

- Be sure to check out this new Central New York food blog called Cooking With Ideas by Bibliochef

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice! Where you get this guestbook? I want the same script.. Awesome content. thankyou.
»